This is a 5 day Southern Tanzania safari adventure that takes you on a mesmerizing journey through some of Tanzania’s most remarkable and diverse wildlife havens. This carefully curated 5-day safari will immerse you in the wonders of Nyerere National Park (formerly Selous Game Reserve) and Mikumi National Park, offering a perfect blend of thrilling game drives, tranquil boat safaris, and the chance to witness Africa’s iconic Big Five and an array of fascinating wildlife species.
Your safari begins in the bustling city of Dar Es Salaam, where you will be warmly greeted and whisked away to the captivating wilderness of Nyerere National Park. Formerly known as Selous Game Reserve, Nyerere is an expansive UNESCO World Heritage Site, covering an area larger than Switzerland. As you traverse through this pristine wilderness, you’ll encounter a symphony of wildlife, from majestic lions and elusive leopards to graceful giraffes, imposing elephants, and playful hippos.
Embark on game drives that will bring you face to face with the incredible biodiversity of Nyerere National Park, where over 350 bird species fill the air with their melodious songs. Enjoy boat safaris along the Rufiji River, observing the fascinating behavior of crocodiles and the immense gatherings of hippos along the riverbanks. Experience the adrenaline rush as you set out on a walking safari, guided by an armed ranger, taking you even closer to the heart of this untamed African wilderness.
Leaving Nyerere behind, your safari continues to the picturesque Mikumi National Park, renowned for its stunning savannah landscapes adorned with acacia, baobab, and tamarind trees. Despite its lesser-developed infrastructure, Mikumi’s untamed charm provides a unique safari experience, offering encounters with a distinct subspecies of giraffe and a plethora of other wildlife, including lions, zebras, and wildebeests.
Amidst the natural splendor of Mikumi, relish the opportunity to embark on optional walking safaris with an armed ranger, heightening your connection to the wildlife and the land. Capture the essence of Africa’s untamed beauty as you venture out on exhilarating game drives, framed by golden sunsets and starlit nights.
As your safari draws to a close, you’ll carry unforgettable memories of encountering nature’s wonders in their most authentic form. With a heart full of awe and appreciation, you’ll return to Dar Es Salaam, forever transformed by this extraordinary safari experience. Embark on this adventure of a lifetime, where the wild secrets of Nyerere National Park and Mikumi National Park await your discovery.
Day-to-Day Itinerary: 5 days safari to Nyerere & Mikumi
Day 1: Depart Dar Es Salaam to Nyerere National Park (Selous Game Reserve). Check-in at Selous Mapumziko Lodge. Afternoon boat safari.
Day 2 – 3: Full-day game drives, boat safari, and walking safari in Nyerere National Park. Explore the diverse wildlife and over 350 bird species.
Day 4: Drive to Mikumi National Park. Afternoon game drive in Mikumi. Overnight at Camp Bastian or similar.
Day 5: Morning game drives in Mikumi. Optional walking safari. Return to Dar Es Salaam in the afternoon.
Highlights of the 5-day Southern Tanzania safari:
- Exploring Nyerere National Park (Selous Game Reserve), a UNESCO World Heritage Site, with diverse wildlife and over 350 bird species.
- Boat safari on the Rufiji River, witnessing crocodiles, hippos, and various birdlife.
- Full-day game drives in Nyerere National Park, spotting lions, leopards, elephants, giraffes, impalas, and more.
- Guided walking safari with an armed ranger, offering a unique perspective on the African wilderness.
- Transfer to Mikumi National Park, experiencing the savannah landscape with acacia, baobab, and rare palm trees.
- Game drives in Mikumi, observing unique subspecies of giraffes and the park’s natural and untouched state.
- Optional walking safari in Mikumi, accompanied by an armed ranger for a more immersive wildlife encounter.
- A relaxed and accommodating coastal town visit to Kilwa, with historical sites and beautiful beaches.