Machame Route, otherwise known as the “whiskey route” is one of the most popular routes to summit Mount Kilimanjaro since it has existed on the mountain for many years. According to official Kilimanjaro national park statistics, the Machame Route is so popular that 50% of climbers use this route to summit Kilimanjaro. It is also definitely one of our favorites alongside the Lemosho Route which is very scenic. Below are some of the reasons why you will fall in love with this route.
- Machame Route has one of the highest summit success rates that could easily reach a high 90%. To achieve a high summit success rate, the 7 day Machame Route tour itinerary is recommended.
- This route is an amazing acclimatization route as it applies the “walk high, sleep low” principle very well.
- The Marangu route rewards climbers with amazing scenery as you traverse vegetation and climatic zones of every kind on your way up the mountain.
- The route also gives you the ultimate opportunity to conquer and climb the Great Barranco Wall.
- The Machame Route will give you a great chance of reaching the Uhuru peak Summit.
Plan your climb on the Machame route
- Difficulty rating: Challenging
- Height: The Machame route leads to the Uhuru Peak summit of Mount Kilimanjaro at a staggering height of 5,895 meters (19,341 feet)
- Trail conditions: On your way to the summit via the Machame Route, you will trek through a variety of vegetation zones namely: dense vegetation zones, rocky zones, and loose gravel trails. The Machame route is very scenic, rewarding climbers with panoramic views of the mountain and a variety of amazing landscapes
- Climbing requirements: Make sure you have all the required mountain gear and equipment as are no technical climbing requirements on this route