Göran Kropp from Sweden rode his bicycle to Nepal, climbed Mount Everest alone without Sherpas or bottled oxygen, then cycled back to Sweden again.
Göran Kropp

Goran Kropp, born Lars Olof Göran Kropp on 11 December 1966 is well known for his extraordinary journey in 1996, during which he rode his bicycle 8,000 miles from Sweden to Nepal, ascended Mount Everest without any assistance or oxygen, and then rode his bicycle back home with his 170 pounds of gear. He is also credited as the first Scandinavian to climb Mount Everest without supplementary oxygen. He made a solo ascent of Mount Everest without bottled oxygen or Sherpa support on 23 May 1996

When we were first introduced to this ultra-ultra endurance athlete, we found ourselves genuinely unable to believe what they had to say! Recently, his name was brought up once more, and after conducting some research, we discovered that it was accurate. Our perceptions of what was possible for adventure were utterly transformed by Goran Kropp, and he will be in our minds without charge for the rest of our lives. Goran Kropp was a man who lived up to his nickname, “The Crazy Swede,” as he was 6 feet 3 inches tall and 240 pounds. According to reports, he was a punk rock paratrooper from Sweden who spent nine years getting ready for his Everest journey. Roller skating was one of his aerobic routines, and he climbed mountains like K2 as part of his workout routine. His argument was that it stimulates movement across the entire body, including the arms and legs, which is necessary for climbing at high altitudes. Naturally, he also engaged in some climbing, running, and weightlifting in his workout routine.

“I wanted to do it in a different way, in my own way. Not a single person has ever accomplished this in this manner before, and it was a significant accomplishment that I was looking forward to before I left Sweden.

In the course of Goran Kropp’s career, every excursion required excellent equipment. It is possible that this will be the deciding factor in whether or not you are successful. He was aware of what he needed to put in his body and made certain that it was the best. For us at Fierce Hazel, the principle of “buy better, buy less” is one that we really believe in. Our True Grit Handlebar Bag, Tour de Fierce Ultralight Cycling Case, and Ballistic Black All-Conditions Ride Pouch are among of the pieces of kit that we would have wanted to have had the opportunity to meet and observe him using. Quite a few of our friends who are into rock climbing have talked highly about it. There is a possibility that it would have made his adventures a little bit less difficult for him.

On a chilly day in October 1995 in Sweden, Goran Kropp, who was not afraid of seeing new places, mounted his self-modified bicycle, packed all of his equipment, which weighed a total of 170 pounds, and then set out on his journey to Kathmandu. With him was a mountain bike that had some touring bike components attached to it. In the event that his tyre went flat, for instance, he utilized slick tyres and placed his baggage on a luggage rack to keep them in place. Additionally, in order to make it more user-friendly than a mountain bike, he installed lights and switched out the gearbox. The trip to Nepal lasted for a total of four months and six days, during which time he travelled through Kazakhstan, Pakistan, Turkey, and Romania. In an effort to reduce his weight, he made the decision that he could get by with only one pair of underpants; nonetheless, he still had a tremendous amount of luggage to transport. How come? As a result of the fact that this ride was entirely unassisted. With the exception of food, he would bring everything he required all the way to the base of Mount Everest, which is a distance of 7,693 miles. It was difficult to find sufficient food. Since he was a vegetarian, he had to be very selective about the foods he ate. Along the journey, he would visit restaurants and other establishments in an effort to find the best food that he could possibly discover. In a letter interview, he stated, “I ate everything,” but he still managed to shed 22 pounds on his way out of the facility. He repaired 132 flat tyres, was nearly run over (on purpose), was harassed by locals, laughed at, chased by dogs, had stones thrown at him, and was beaten with a baseball bat to name a few of the things that happened to him. From that point on, he abandoned his bicycle at a guesthouse and carried his climbing equipment, which weighed 143 pounds, all the way to Everest Base.

In addition to riding his bike to Nepal without any assistance, he also had the goal of climbing Everest by himself, without the need of oxygen or any aid from Sherpas to assist him with his kit. On the third of May, he was just a few hundred meters away from the peak when he discovered that he was knee-deep in snow and the snow was making it difficult for him to move any farther. Although it was getting dark, he was concerned that he would become trapped, and he did not want to descend into the dark. He could have continued on because there were fixed ropes that would have assisted him, but his instincts told him not to, and he turned around and went back to basecamp.


As the group was recuperating at base camp, a catastrophe occurred. In 1996, a blizzard struck Mount Everest, resulting in the deaths of eight hikers. This event is known as the Mount Everest Disaster, and it inspired Jon Krakauer to write the best-selling book “Into Thin Air.” During the process of recovering the trekkers, Kropp assisted the relief team and provided assistance to each of them. The news upset him, but a guy with such strong willpower would not be deterred by these circumstances. This was his second effort, which he performed on May 26, 1996, and it was successful in getting him to the summit of Everest without any assistance. It was here that he had arrived at the pinnacle of the globe. Do you believe that he arrived home on the very first flight in order to get some much-needed rest? Following his return to his bicycle, he rode it all the way back to Sweden, covering a distance of 7,693 kilometres.

His experiences did not finish there; he later travelled back to Everest with his girlfriend, Renata Chlumska, who was also an incredible adventurer in her own right. Renata Chlumska showed her support for him during his first expedition to Everest, and she went on to summit the mountain once again in 1999. In the same manner as his previous ascent, he did not accept any handouts and remained committed to being self-supported. Throughout the years, he developed a greater sense of adventure, and it wasn’t simply mountains that he explored. He and another Swede named Ola Skinnarmo made an effort to ski all the way to the North Pole in the year 2000. Regrettably, they were forced to give up because their thumb had been nipped by frost.

With the passage of time, Kropp started making preparations for a fresh journey. The fact that he was not a sailer did not prevent him from making the decision to sail from Sweden to McMurdo Sound, Antarctica, ski to the South Pole and back, and then sail back to Sweden. During the month of September in the year 2002, he made an effort to go rock climbing in the state of Washington. He was 35 years old when he passed away as a result of an accident that occurred on a climb of sixty feet. Unfortunately, two safety rigging failures occurred.

Göran Kropp bicycleMountaineering

In 1988, Kropp embarked on a journey to scale Lenin Peak, which is situated on the border between Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan and stands at a height of 7134 meters. It took Kropp and his buddies a record-breaking ten days to climb to the top of the mountain.

At the time, Kropp was hoping to climb Cho Oyu in 1989, but he did not have a permit to do so. Instead, he travelled to South America and climbed several mountains, including Iliniza Sur (5266 meters), Cotopaxi (5897 meters), Illimani (6300 meters), Huayna Potosi (6088 meters), and Illampu (6520 meters).

He and Rafael Jensen, a Danish climber, ascended Muztagh Tower in Pakistan, which is 7273 meters in height, as part of a Swedish expedition in the year 1990. Their ascent was the fourth of the peak, and it is considered to be one of the most challenging mountains in the Himalayas among those that are 7000 meters in height.a citation is required.

In the year 1991, Kropp ascended Pik Pobeda, which is located in the eastern region of Kyrgyzstan. A summit attempt was attempted by Kropp in conjunction with Mats Dahlin; however, Dahlin was unable to participate due to illness and had to withhold his participation. Despite having a bad headache, Kropp continued on as he made his way to the top.

In 1992, Kropp completed the process of acquiring permission to climb Cho Oyu. As a means of getting ready, he climbed in Chamonix alongside Dahlin. A stone that had fallen from the top of the hill struck Dahlin right below the helmet, at the edge of his temple, and caused him to pass away. This occurred as he was climbing the Aiguille Verte.

In spite of this, Kropp made the decision to climb Cho Oyu, citing the fact that his partner would have wanted him to do so. The entire journey to Nepal was taken by him in his Range Rover. Kropp positioned Dahlin’s ice axe at the very top, and he positioned a picture of Dahlin pointing in the direction of Mount Everest.

Mount Kilimanjaro

Together with Goran Kropp, an eccentric Swede who thrived in the wildernesses of the world, Ed Douglas ascended Kilimanjaro in August. Goran Kropp had climbed everything from Everest to the North Pole. He had no idea that the first adventure they went on together would also be the last one they ever went on together.
My toes are like little nubbins of ice within my boots, and my feet are cold as I stand around on the peak of Kilimanjaro. During this time, I am making my way around the rocky plateau at an altitude of 19,000 feet, waiting for the sun to dawn. At that moment, Goran Kropp, a Swedish ex-paratrooper who weighs 220 pounds and is six feet three inches tall, is marching towards me. He is overjoyed. Goran has been acting as a shepherd for the past week, directing his little flock of journalists to the highest point on the mountain. Now, it would appear that each of us has achieved success. He is cradling me so tightly that my ribs are beginning to creak.

It’s Ed! We were successful!’ There are other hikers who stop to stare. Not only is Goran a celebrity in the world of adventure because he is bold and successful, but he is also a celebrity because of his sense of fun and because he is the life and soul of a party that takes place at a high altitude. “Double thumbs up!” he exclaims, which is the highest possible mark of praise in the Kropp language. In a cheerful manner, he consents to having his photo taken with his supporters. Once again, he is smiling and giving the thumbs up, this time to the camera. He never takes his smile off his face. That occurred a little over a quarter of a year ago. There is a constant need for me to remind myself that Goran Kropp has passed away.

It would be an understatement to call Goran “larger than life.” throughout an expedition to the North Pole, for instance, he had shot and killed a polar bear throughout the course of the journey. As far as anecdotes are concerned, the act of assuming a thousand pounds of teeth, claws, and furry muscle is a show-stopper. Additionally, he had a passion for entertaining. During the time that we were waiting to climb Kilimanjaro, our party sat around a hotel room and listened to Goran as he took us to the High Arctic.

It was at the time that he and his buddy Ola Skinnarmo were preparing their tents for the night when the bear became aware of their presence. “When it started running towards us, you know, doing the double back-paw thing,” he continues, and suddenly his imposing body takes over. “We got really worried when it started doing that.” While pounding across the flat brilliance of the Arctic, his big arms transform into the bear’s back legs, as it rushes forward to attack its prey. Instantaneously, we were presented with a pretty accurate representation of what it would be like to be stranded in the middle of nowhere with a large animal that is intent on devouring you.

His on-stage antics caused audiences all over the world to howl with amusement, and for the same reasons that reviewers lined up to chop him down, audiences all over the world howled with laughter. In the world of adventuring, which is known for its seriousness and self-importance, the fact that he was hilarious was both a revelation and a heresy. A sequence of earnest, pompous, and frequently bearded men hiking over icy wastes or up snowy mountains before returning home to teach at the Royal Geographical Society is something that we and the people of Britain have become accustomed to seeing repeatedly.

There was no Goran here. I have attended a great number of seminars that are uninteresting. My goal is to give the impression to the audience that I am having a great time in the mountains. The gift that I wish to give is that. That going to the mountains is not merely a matter of suffering and death, but rather a way of life. In the days that have passed after his passing, I have made an effort to comprehend and analyze this. Had he been joking with himself? In what way did he feel motivated? What did he stand to gain from going out there that made the danger worthwhile?


Kropp went back to the Karakoram with the intention of climbing K2 in the year 1993. In the beginning, he intended to take part in a Swedish trip; nevertheless, Kropp came to the realization that if he were to reach the summit before the other participants in the expedition, he would be the first person from Sweden and Scandinavia to do so. Therefore, Kropp joined a Slovenian expedition that was going to climb the peak before the Swedes that were going to climb it. He pulled forward the date of his ascent for a number of reasons, one of which being that his Range Rover had been stuck in Pakistan ever since he climbed Cho Oyu the year before. This was due to the fact that customs officials in Iran refused to let it pass through.

Despite this, Kropp’s Slovenian colleagues had made the decision to not include him in their ambitious climbing ambitions. Kropp, on the other hand, made the decision to accompany David Sharman, who was attempting to make history by becoming the first Englishman to survive a descent from the summit.

In the midst of the Slovenians’ attempt to reach the summit, a strong storm broke out, leaving them stuck at a high altitude. Kropp gave up his ascent in order to save as many people as he could. Following the occurrence of this episode, he continued to be with his British colleague; however, Sharman fell, fractured his leg, and then went back down. Kropp got to the top of the mountain by himself, without the use of any oxygen bottles. Another storm on the mountain left Kropp stranded at an altitude of 8,000 meters above sea level as he was on his way down. After a while, Kropp arrived at the base camp.

After the climb, there was a significant amount of media interest, and Kropp went on to establish his own company, which is now known as Kropp & Adventure AB.

In 1994, he made another trip to the Karakoram, this time accompanied by Andrew Lock, as well as the Swedish climbers Mats Holmgren and Nicolas Gafgo. Their target was Broad Peak, and their objective was to make the first ascent of the south-southwest ridge, which had not been climbed before and had been attempted at by a number of reputable climbers but had been unsuccessful. Because of this, they were forced to retreat to a distance of less than 7000 meters. After that, they concentrated on the standard route to the top, which was where Lock, Holmgren, and Kropp were successful in reaching the fore summit on their very first attempt. An additional attempt was undertaken by Kropp to reach the main summit, and he was successful after a rapid and continuous solo ascent.

Mount Everest

Goran Kropp embarked on his journey to Mount Everest in October of 1995, departing from Stockholm Airport.
For his ascent in 1996, Kropp set out from Stockholm on October 16, 1995, riding a bicycle that had been particularly manufactured for him and carrying 108 kilograms (238 pounds) of equipment and food. It was in April of 1996 when he arrived at Everest Base Camp after having ridden his bicycle for a distance of 13,000 kilometres (8,000 miles). In the aftermath of a gathering of all of the Everest expeditions that were currently present on the mountain, it was decided that Kropp would make the initial effort to reach the summit. The South peak of Everest, which is located 100 meters (328 feet) from the peak, was reached by Kropp on May 3 after he ascended through snow that was up to his thighs deep. On the other hand, he made the decision to turn around because it was now too late in the day, and if he persisted, he would be going down in the dark otherwise. During the time when Kropp was recuperating from the incident at base camp, the Everest Disaster of 1996 was taking place. With his assistance, medicine was brought up the mountain. Three weeks later, on May 23rd, he attempted to climb the mountain once more, and this time he was successful all the way to the peak without any further oxygen support.(6) [6] After that, he rode his bicycle a portion of the way back to his house.

When he went back to Everest in 1999 with his girlfriend Renata Chlumska, they were there to carry out cleaning. During their time there, they removed twenty-five canisters that had been abandoned on the peak. Moreover, they were able to summit together effectively.
Controversy Kropp and Ola Skinnarmo, both from Sweden, made an effort to ski to the North Pole without any assistance at the beginning of the year 2000. Because of a frostbite on his thumb, Kropp was forced to walk away from the mission.[8]: He was able to take down a polar bear that had been following the two men while they were on their journey. The writer Jan Guillou made claims that Kropp was a poacher in the Swedish tabloid press as a result of this. Due to the fact that shooting polar bears was an unavoidable consequence of skiing across the North Pole, the accusations continued. Kropp filed a lawsuit for libel, and once he was unsuccessful, he made the decision to relocate to Seattle, which is located in the United States.

In the latter part of that year, Michael Trueman, who was the head of the Everest expedition in 1996, successfully filed a libel lawsuit against the publisher of Ralph Kropp’s autobiography in London.[10] [10] There were false claims made about Trueman’s character as a result of Kropp’s confusion of Trueman’s name with that of Mike Burns, who was a member of the investigation team. As a direct result of this, the book is prohibited in the United Kingdom.


While climbing the Air Guitar route in Frenchman Coulee, which is located close to Vantage, Washington, Kropp suffered a fall that caused him to fall 18 meters (60 feet) and sustain head injuries. He passed away on September 30, 2002. Erden Eruc, a climber from Seattle, was belayed when his protection came loose from a crack. Additionally, the wire-gate carabiner that was attached to the subsequent piece of protection broke. Apparently, Kropp passed away as a result of the hit.

Racing Career

For a couple of seasons, Kropp competed in the Formula Three series in both Sweden and the Nordic countries. In the year 2000, he competed in his final race.a citation is required. Kropp had a passion for high-speed sports automobiles and was known to drive Ferraris and Maseratis on the road in private. An improved Ferrari F355 GT car was created by him in collaboration with von Braun Sports Cars for the purpose of endurance racing. Before he passed away, he participated in only a few test races.


About Author



Leave a Reply