How Beck Weathers cheated death to survive the 1996 Everest catastrophe

This article where Beck Weathers cheats death to actually survive a disaster on the risky peaks of Mount Everest makes a great read. Before the miraculous discovery that Beck Weathers was actually alive by surviving the 1996 catastrophe, he was thought to be dead, and fellow climbers had already phoned his wife to let her know he was missing, but he miraculously survived and returned to camp after making it back down the mountain.
Beck Weathers passed away on Mount Everest on May 11, 1996. At least, everyone believed it to be the case. Even more astounding was the reality.

Over a terrifying eighteen-hour period, Everest would make every effort to consume Beck Weathers and his climbing companions. Due to weariness, exposure, and altitude sickness, Weathers started to become progressively insane as fierce storms killed out the majority of his squad, including its captain, one by one. He once shouted “I’ve got it all figured out” and threw up his hands before collapsing.

He shouted “I’ve got it all figured out” at one point and then threw up his hands before collapsing into a snowbank and, according to his colleagues, dying.

Weathers lay in the snow, slipping deeper into a hypothermic coma while rescue teams fought their way up the Everest face to save the others. Weathers was examined by not one, but two rescuers, who concluded that he was beyond saving and would become one of Everest’s numerous victims.

But after being given up for dead twice, an astonishing event occurred: Beck Weathers awoke. He had scale-like black frostbite covering his face and torso, but he managed to get himself out of the snowbank and ultimately descend the mountain.

Check out our article about Green Boots, the famous body on Mount Everest

Are Beck and Peach Weathers still married?

At 26,000 feet on Everest, Beck Weathers’ passion for climbing came dangerously close to destroying his marriage and taking his life. Four years later, despite the frostbite scars on his body, he tells Ed Douglas that he feels emancipated on the inside: “It’s amazing how functional you can be.” I was working four months after they severed my hands. They were almost divorced but this tragedy saved his marriage to Peach Weathers.

Beck weathers and peach weathers According to Weathers, “She had made the decision to divorce me, but she wasn’t going to tell me while I was on the mountain and was going to wait until I got home.” But everything changed once Peach went through the terrifying experience of hearing from the authorities that Weathers had passed away.

In the eyes of the world, Beck Weathers’ death added to the toll from the deadliest climbing accident on Everest.

While Weathers and his friends tried to descend from the peak, ferocious winds and a bone-chilling cold had closed around the mountain. He seems to have died of hypothermia after becoming lost and fatigued, leaving his corpse exposed on the South Col at a height of almost 26,000 feet.

A mountain guide and later a doctor checked on him during the course of the following 24 hours. Both said that Weathers, a pathologist from Texas, was beyond redemption. A hypothermic coma has never been broken previously, especially at such a high altitude. When his wife found out, grieving started. Then, a remarkable event took place. The weather is awake.

Four years later, he softly grins while shifting his weight in his armchair at his Dallas home. He still has some use of his arms. He claims, “I’ve always been a storyteller, but I’ve never had a story before.” I now own a fine.

Weathers is happier than ever, despite the awful injuries that caused him to lose portions of his arms, face, and foot.

He declares, “For the first time in my life, I have peace.” I no longer try to define myself by my aspirations, my successes, or my worldly belongings. I feel at ease in my own flesh for the first time.

Since his experience on Everest terminated his climbing career, it also assisted him in overcoming the suicidal depression that plagued him for a large portion of his adult life. His harrowing journey started on May 10th, 1996. Weathers had invested almost $65,000 on climbing Everest as part of New Zealand mountaineer Rob Hall’s trip, the greatest and most difficult obstacle in his quest to the summit of the highest peak on each of the seven continents.

He was one of the most experienced climbers that season at 49. He had a lot riding on his success, including his 20-year marriage to Peach, the love of his kids, and possibly his life, but he doesn’t appear to have been aware of it. His outward appearance of friendliness and wit concealed a profound insecurity; he needed to climb Everest, not simply wanted to.

You can see where his mental condition and the obsession it gave rise to while you are flying over Dallas’ suburbs. Every green street appears to be the same as the previous, safe, sheltered, and routine, much as in the opening scene of American Beauty.

Read also about the sleeping beauty of Mount Everest

Weathers loved his family and the financial luxuries his successful profession provided him, but he often felt completely alone.

He claims that depression had a significant impact on his life. I experienced some very severe suicidal thoughts for a while, to the point that it terrified me to death. His interests ranged from CB radio to sailing as he tried to find solace. “The only thing that actually worked was pushing my body to its limits.” When you physically exert yourself hard, you get this beautiful feeling of withdrawal within yourself, and all of your difficulties in life vanish. A logical development of it was climbing.

Weathers was on the verge of achieving his ultimate goal when the storm hit and they were leaving their high camp on the South Col. He and his teammates were optimistic since the weather was clear. They faced a 12- to 14-hour journey to the peak as they trudged off into the night, crampons squeaking on the snow and ice. Weathers, though, was never going to get there.

He had a radial keratotomy, which essentially included making small incisions in his corneas, before departing for Nepal to treat his short-sightedness. However, his adapted corneas altered form at altitude, leaving him mostly blind in the dark. He felt compelled to leave the route and stand aside as his friends made their way uphill. No one defeated him.

With strong sunlight, Weathers reasoned that his iris would shut to shield his retina and provide him a vast depth of field, avoiding the corneal issue. As it turned out, he had scraped an ice crystal across his right cornea, blurring it, while cleaning his watery eyes. Although his left eye was functional, he lacked depth awareness, which was a serious disadvantage on such perilous terrain.

Hall prevented him from ascending farther and told him to wait until he got back before moving. He gave Hall the pledge, “Cross my heart, hope to die.” However, Hall did not come back; instead, he ended up stranded near the peak with Doug Hansen, a Seattle postal worker who was too frail to descend alone.

Hall refused to leave Hansen despite being advised to do so, and he passed on the same evening.

Weathers carefully awaited Hall’s return all day after he had left him at around 7.30 in the morning, turning down offers from other climbers who were descending the mountain to join them. But by 5 o’clock he realized something wasn’t right. Weathers was reached by Jon Krakauer as he descended from the peak of Everest, the subject of his subsequent book Into Thin Air, the best-selling account of that climbing season. Hall was reportedly stranded on the top ridge, he informed Weathers. Weathers declined Krakauer’s offer of assistance while realizing that he should descend now.

Instead, he decided to wait for Mike Groom, another member of his team who had assisted Weathers crawl down to the South Col as part of a group of exhausted stragglers who were doomed to spend a miserable night in the open.

The afternoon storm became larger, clouds boiled over the South Col, and the wind thundered as they remained close to their tents and a place of protection. One climber compared it to getting lost in a milk bottle. The tiny group of climbers nearly went off the edge of the mountain in their confusion, disorientation, and desperation to find the camp. Weathers lost his right glove in the process, and his hand immediately froze.

The climbers camped out, exhausted and facing a precipitous plunge, hoping for a break in the clouds and a possibility of rescue.

By the time it arrived, Weathers was too late to be saved. He stood against the howling wind with his arms wide and his naked right hand frozen solid, like a piece of flesh, as his comrades gasped in terror. He was dying while standing on the South Col in the middle of the night, insane from cold and hypoxia (low oxygen levels in the human tissues).

He said, “I’ve got this all figured out,” just as the wind knocked him off his feet and caused him to vanish into the swirling water, seemingly forever. Anatoli Boukreev managed to save his buddies, but the Russian scout believed Weathers was already dead.

The following morning, Yasuko Namba, a Japanese lady who had also been left behind the previous evening, and Canadian doctor Stuart Hutchinson went in search of them. They were accompanied by three Sherpas.

Read about Yasuko Namba and the 1996 Everest disaster

Hutchinson had to remove a carapace of ice from Namba’s face in order to examine her since she was barely alive. He concluded that there was nothing he could do because Namba’s eyes were dilated and her skin was porcelain white. Hutchinson next turned his attention to Weathers, who was now partially covered in snow. He saw his stiff right arm that was frozen above his head, his jacket that was open to the waist, and his ice-covered face. Hutchinson determined that Weathers was “as close to death and still breathing” as any patient he had ever seen.

Weathers’ demise was announced in a news report. Then, at about four o’clock, the miracle happened. He admits, “I was so disconnected from where I was, I was so far gone.” I had the pleasant, cozy, and cozy feeling of being in my bed. It wasn’t at all uncomfortable.

His awkward arm offered him something to concentrate on as he became disoriented by the white clouds and snow. He slammed it down on the floor. It made a woody sound. He started to realize his situation as adrenaline began to pour through his body. It was not a bed. This was real, he claims. “This was genuine, and I’m beginning to wonder: I’m on the mountain, but I have no idea where.”

This is going to end very fast if I don’t stand up, if I don’t consider where I am and how to leave, and if I don’t do any of those things, immediately.

Does he make any assumptions about what rescued him as a pathologist who is accustomed to using a microscope to observe how the body’s cells operate?

As far as I’m aware, I’m the first person in that situation to have recovered from a hypothermic coma. I’m unable to comprehend that waking. I’ve examined it from the most physical and spiritual perspectives. That day, a few physical changes occurred that would have been sufficient. Your body’s core is far more resistant to temperature changes than I would have thought.

He uses the case of a man who was submerged in the North Sea and whose core temperature was 82F (16F below normal body temperature), but who was still able to speak clearly. But to Weathers, it continues to be a wonder.

This wasn’t a close call with death; rather, it was a complete spring cleaning, to use Weathers’ phrase. None of the remaining climbers in camp could believe the apparition in front of them was the deceased Beck Weathers when he entered.

One subsequently noted, “This man had no face.” It was all black, like he had a crust covering him.

Everyone present who was still capable of rational thought likewise believed he would pass away before dawn.

He was left alone in a tent after being placed there. Later, his widow became indignant about the fact that her husband had been left to die alone.

Weathers has a better tolerance. Everyone was worn out. Every sane person was terrified. And when I consider the difficult decisions of what could be done for me, they have already completed everything. No one anticipated that I would make it through the night. However, I never thought I would not survive it at that time.

Due in part to the media attention that the live internet stream created, the events of that day and night on Everest have been entangled in debate. On the peak, eight climbers perished in all.

Journalists were arriving in Kathmandu to interview Weathers as he traveled to base camp.

He jokingly said to his rescuers as they pulled him down, “They told me this trip was going to cost me an arm and a leg.” I’ve received a little better bargain thus far.

He was the highest rescue ever carried out and was on his way to Kathmandu in a chopper within hours. Although Weathers appeared on Newsweek’s cover and was shown on every TV newscast, he forgot about the idea of making quick money off of his experiences. Even though he may have laughed with his rescuers, he now dreaded that his despair would return and eventually overtake him.

Aside from his bodily wounds, the preoccupation that had virtually destroyed his marriage also caused him to suffer from his physical ailments.

He comments on Peach’s reservations about remaining, saying that it would have been “considerably more difficult to deal with.” “I just don’t know whether I could have handled it,” she said. “I didn’t have to face it.”

Instead, she consented to remain for a year as he recovered from his wounds. He had thawed and withered his right arm. According to Weathers, “it appeared to have been incinerated.” He also experienced frostbite on his left foot, left hand, and entire face. His nose couldn’t be fixed, unfortunately. His epidermis, cartilage, and other soft tissues had all been affected by the frostbite, which had even reached the bone.

Plastic surgeon Greg Anigian made a tin foil imprint of the original before cutting it away. While doctors developed a new nose—turned upside down—on his forehead using cartilage from his ears and skin from his neck, they were compelled to spray the now-exposed nasal passages with water to keep them wet. The new nose was then moved to the spot where his original had been removed. He joked that he had to be careful not to let the youngsters to snap a photo for National Enquirer.

His left side looks better, with what is essentially a fleshy mitt and a primitive thumb; his right arm was severed just below the elbow.

As the severed nerves in his arms healed, he endured a year of discomfort that felt, in his words, “like constantly being hit on the funny bone.” Despite not being very sophisticated, the reconstruction on the left side is really cutting-edge. They performed a fantastic job. to be able to pick something up and to be able to move at all.

He makes a head motion. It’s incredible how useful you can be. I resumed work four months after having my hands amputated.

When he eventually decided to write his memoir, he realized that it was insufficient to merely describe his survival to the public. He and Peach made the decision to write about how they rebuilt their lives after climbing nearly ruined them.

“For us, the motivation for doing this wasn’t to chronicle the tale of the mountain, but rather the motivations that lead to it and the price you pay in terms of relationships. Having once experienced death, I can say that it’s okay and achievable. You do not, however, pay the high cost. Knowing that helped me get rid of a lot of excuses and denial.

He claims to no longer suffer from despair and, despite missing climbing, feels emancipated. “That feeling of needing to demonstrate my worth to others has just vanished.” It has been a great comfort to stop thinking that way about things. I believe that most individuals experience it, though frequently much later.

How disaster befell Beck Weathers on the mountain

Beck Weathers had had a standard procedure to treat his nearsightedness just before leaving for Nepal. His corneas had really undergone a procedure called radial keratotomy, which was the forerunner of LASIK, to alter their shape for improved vision. Unfortunately, the altitude severely damaged his corneas, which were still healing, leaving him nearly completely blind as night fell.

When Hall noticed that Weathers was blind, he barred him from climbing the mountain and told him to stay at the trail’s edge while he led the others to the summit. He would be picked up by them as they made their way back along the circle.

Weathers unwillingly agreed. He stood still while his seven comrades ascended to the peak.

He was approached by several other parties as he descended, but he declined their offers to join their caravans in favor of keeping his word to Hall.

Hall, though, never came back.

One of the team members became too weak to continue after reaching the peak. Hall, choosing to wait rather than leave him, eventually gave in to the cold and died on the hills. His corpse is still frozen today, below the South Summit.

Before Beck Weathers recognized something was amiss, about ten hours had gone. However, as a lone hiker by himself on the route, he was left with little choice but to wait till another hiker went by. A climber came down just after 5 o’clock and informed Weathers that Hall was trapped.

He should have accompanied the climber down, but instead he opted to wait for a teammate who he had been assured was on his way down not long behind.
Hall’s partner team leader Mike Groom was a knowledgeable and experienced guide who had previously conquered Mount Everest. He led Weathers along with him as they made their way to their tents to prepare for the long, icy night with the exhausted stragglers who had once been his courageous crew.

Before they arrived at their camp, a storm that had started to develop on top of the mountain blanketed the whole region in snow and virtually eliminated their visibility.

One climber compared it like being trapped inside a milk bottle as white snow fell everywhere in an almost impenetrable film. As they searched for their tents, the group, pressed together, nearly fell down the edge of the mountain.

In the process, Weathers lost a glove and started to experience the affects of the low temperatures and high altitude.

He stood up in the wind, raising his arms above him, his right hand frozen beyond recognition while his comrades crowded around to get warm. He started yelling and screaming and claimed to have the solution. He was then abruptly blown into the snow by a burst of wind.

The remainder of his squad was saved during the night by a Russian guide, but after taking one glance at Weathers, he decided he couldn’t be saved. Weathers was doomed to join the mountain’s habit of leaving its deceased residents there.

After the storm had passed the previous night, a Canadian physician was dispatched up to find Weathers and Yasuko Namba, a Japanese member of his team who had also been abandoned. Namba was determined to be beyond rescue by the doctor after removing a sheet of ice from her body. He was prepared to say the same thing when he saw Weathers.

His jacket was ajar to the waist, and some of his limbs were frozen rigid from the cold. His face was covered with ice. Frostbite was imminent. He was the patient the doctor afterwards referred to as “being as close to death and still breathing” as any patient he had ever seen. A second time, Weathers was left for dead.

How Beck Weathers Recovered From Death to survive the 1996 Everest disaster

But Beck Weathers wasn’t actually gone. And even though he was near, his body was getting closer to passing away every minute. By some miracle, at 4 p.m., Weathers emerged from his hypothermic coma.

He remembered, “I was so disconnected from where I was, I was so far gone.”

“I had the pleasant, warm, and cozy feeling of being in my bed. It wasn’t at all uncomfortable.

When he started to inspect his limbs, he quickly discovered how mistaken he was. He claimed that when his right arm hit the ground, it made a wood-like sound. He felt a rush of adrenaline as he realized what had happened.

There was no bed here. It wasn’t a dream, he insisted. “This was genuine, and I’m beginning to wonder: I’m somewhere on the mountain, but I have no idea where. This will end very fast if I don’t stand up, if I don’t consider where I am and how to leave, and if I don’t do any of those things.

He managed to compose himself and descend the mountain, tripping on feet that were nearly completely devoid of feeling and felt like porcelain. The climbers in a low-level camp were astounded as he entered. Beck Weathers was moving and speaking despite the fact that his face was blackened from frostbite and his limbs were probably never going to be the same. More shock followed as word of his amazing survival tale reached base camp.

Beck Weathers appeared to have returned from the dead since he was not just moving about and speaking.

His widow learned that her husband had died on the walk after the Canadian doctor abandoned him.

Now, there he was, shattered but still alive, in front of them. It was the highest rescue mission ever accomplished within hours the base camp technicians had sent word to Kathmandu and were taking him to the hospital aboard a chopper.

Along with his nose, he also required the amputation of his right arm, the fingers from his left hand, and significant portions of both feet. Amazingly, surgeons were able to reconstruct his nose using skin from his neck and his ear. More amazingly, they managed to grow it on Weathers’ own forehead. After it had vascularized, they placed it where it belonged.

He made light of the excursion’s high price by saying, “They told me this trip was going to cost me an arm & a leg,” to his rescuers as they lowered him down. I’ve so far obtained a somewhat better bargain.

beck weathers Everest Where is Beck Weathers Now?

Today, Beck Weathers announced his retirement from mountaineering. He still believes he won even though he never reached the summit of all Seven Summits. His wife, furious that he had been left behind, decided against divorcing him and stayed by his side to take care of him.

Left for Dead: My Journey Home from Everest is a book he wrote about his near-death experience, which ultimately rescued his marriage. He states that although he returned a bit less physically entire than when he left, spiritually, he had never been more at peace.

Related: How David Sharp met tragedy on Everest


About Author



Leave a Reply