Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro requires quality gear to make your trekking expedition as comfortable as possible. Even though we provide all camping equipment, including Mobile Mountain Hardware sleeping tents, mess tents, kitchen tents, toilet tents, and emergency equipment, as well as purified water and cooking utensils, you are expected to come with the recommended personal gear for climbing the mountain.
You can choose to purchase/buy your own gear and come with it to Tanzania before climbing Kilimanjaro, alternatively, you can opt to rent some of the gear from Tanzania.
Why rent gear in Tanzania?
Mountain gears are relatively costly in the retail market, so renting instead of buying can save you money. You’ll also be able to carry less luggage on the plane if you rent gear and equipment.
Where to rent gear for climbing Mount Kilimanjaro or Mount Meru in Tanzania
There are various outlets and outfitters that rent out their gear to mountain climbers. From new to second-hand gear, you can hire mountain gear and equipment in Moshi, or Arusha. One notable store that rents out the gear in Moshi that we highly recommend is Pembe Rental, based in Moshi, Mto wa Mbu, and Arusha.
Gilman’s Outdoor Store – Moshi
In 2022, Gilman’s was established as a retailer of outdoor rentals. Due to our history and expertise in the tour operation sector, we occasionally encountered clients who were unable to reach the peak of Mt. Kilimanjaro or Mt. Meru because of insufficient equipment or misplaced luggage. Many people frequently spend a significant amount of money purchasing essential equipment without being aware that renting is an alternative. Here is their Facebook page: Therefore, our goal was to offer a platform where incidents like these are minimized or entirely eliminated. We started our gear shop with confidence because we wanted to give our neighborhood and customers the highest-quality gear that we had personally evaluated to give them a great experience while maintaining safety as our top concern.
Visit their website here: http://gilmansoutdoor.com/
PJM Climbing Gears
The ideal place to stop before heading out on a hike in the mountains or a wildlife drive in a safari is PJM Climbing Gear Stores. The quickest, simplest method of renting. Reduce costs and time.
We organize outdoor activities, and he has outdoor equipment available for hire on Mount Kilimanjaro, including camping, trekking, walking, and climbing equipment.
You can contact them here: https://www.facebook.com/pjmclimbinggears/
Pembe Rentals – Moshi & Arusha
If you are in Moshi, Kilimanjaro region, you can visit their store around Moshi town and pick any gear that you may need. They have a quite large selection of mountain gear for climbing Ol Doinyo Lengai, Mount Meru, and Mount Kilimanjaro. They not only provide Mountian gear and equipment for hire, but they also have camping equipment and safari vehicle hire.
Telephone number: +255 717 544 839 or 0713 480 678
Whatsapp: +255 767 250 249
View this post on Instagram
REI Mountain Gear Rental
They’ve been the favored local outdoor co-op since 1938, trying to let you experience nature’s transformative power. Mount Kilimanjaro, Mount Meru, Mount Kenya, and even Rwenzori and Ol Doinyo Lengai can all be climbed with REI’s high-quality gear and apparel, as well as rental equipment.
REI is now present in 168 sites in 39 states and the District of Columbia. Read more about their rental prices here.
Secret Gear – Arusha
At Wachagga Street, Makao Mapya, Arusha is where you will find the gear rental store. We are open from 7:30 am, although we can be reached at any time that works best for you. You are welcome to rent any outdoor camping gear as well as equipment for climbing Mount Kilimanjaro and Meru.
Their crew is prepared to provide you with advice on what to take for your trip to Mount Meru, Mount Kilimanjaro, and other trekking excursions in Tanzania since we have the greatest and most reliable outdoor gear brands and the best quality. They have all the Kilimanjaro trekking equipment rentals in Arusha, so you no longer need to struggle and spend a lot of money buying equipment for your gear.
Gladys Adventure – Mount Kilimanjaro Gear Rental
On Mt. Kilimanjaro, Gladys Adventure has an unrivaled equipment inventory. Gladys actually worked as an equipment rental store for a while before launching their own trips. Their extensive inventory list ensures that you will have everything you require. The majority of the equipment comes in a variety of brands and models. Patagonia, North Face, Mountain Hardwear, Columbia, Vaude, Marmot, and many other brands are represented. The amount of equipment in their rental shop is adequate to eliminate the need for advanced reservations.
Gladys Adventure has always cleaned and disinfected all rental gear before returning it. As a result, they haven’t had to alter their practices as a result of the Corona outbreak. You can rest confident that any risk of contamination has been reduced.
Important Tips for Renting Trekking Gear:
- Quality Check: Before renting any gear, inspect it thoroughly to ensure that it’s in good condition. Check for any signs of damage or wear.
- Try It On: If possible, try on clothing and boots to ensure they fit comfortably. Proper-fitting gear is essential for your comfort and safety during the climb.
- Reserve in Advance: During peak trekking seasons, gear rental shops can become busy. It’s recommended to reserve your gear in advance to secure the items you need.
- Know What You Need: Make a list of the gear you need to rent before visiting the rental shop. This will help you stay organized and ensure you don’t forget anything important.
- Ask Questions: Don’t hesitate to ask the rental shop staff for advice and recommendations. They can offer insights into the best gear for your specific trek and the current weather conditions on the mountain.
- Return Policy: Understand the rental shop’s return policy and schedule. Some shops may require you to return the gear on a specific date or time.
- Cost: Rental costs can vary depending on the type of gear and the duration of your rental. Inquire about pricing before finalizing your rental.
- Consideration: While renting gear is a convenient option, if you have specific gear that you’re accustomed to using, it might be more comfortable to bring your own.
When renting gear in Arusha or Moshi, make sure to plan ahead, communicate your needs clearly, and prioritize quality and comfort. Having the right gear will contribute to a safer and more enjoyable Kilimanjaro trekking experience.
High-Quality Mountain gear
We take great care to ensure that all of the equipment we use on Mt Kilimanjaro, Mt Meru, and Safari is of the finest quality, sturdy, and well-maintained to suit your enjoyment as well as the rigors of adventure travel.
To make your mountain expedition as pleasurable, comfortable, and memorable as possible and to avoid any unforeseen glitches and inconveniences, please contact us in advance to make arrangements for renting gear at least a week before embarking on your mountain climb in Mount Meru or Kilimanjaro.
Other climbing gear and equipment that you may think required for your Mount Kilimanjaro Climbing may be brought with you, and we do not object to you bringing them. However, you may send us an email to seek advice on whether or not you will need them.
Because the Marangu Route entails accommodation in mountain huts whereas the Machame Route involves camping, the Machame Route requires more gear than the Marangu Route.
You’ll need the following items to get started:
We’ve compiled a list of some of the most important gear and equipment that a climber should be aware of in order to make an informed decision about what to bring and what not to bring.
Because not all of the items on our list are required, it is up to the climber to determine what he or she requires and what he or she does not.
The following is a list of some of the most important pieces of equipment and gear when climbing Mount Kilimanjaro.
Sleeping Bags and Bags for Packing
You’ll need a daypack that has a waterproof cover.
With a maximum weight of 15 kilograms, use a duffle bag or a trekking rucksack.
A good-quality sleeping bag with a comfort zone that can withstand temperatures as low as -15 degrees Celsius.
- Sun hat – USD 5 per trip
- Warm Hat – USD 5 per trip
- Warm Balaclava – USD 8 per trip
- Neck Warmer – USD 7 per trip
- Scarf – USD 5 per trip
- Glove liners – USD 5 per trip
- Warm mitts or gloves – USD 8 per trip
- Mountain/Hiking Boots – USD 20 per trip
- Gaiters – USD 10 per trip
- Socks – USD 5 per trip
- Walking Trousers – USD 10 per trip
- Thermal Bottoms – USD 10 per trip
- Fleece trousers – USD 10 per trip
- Walking T-Shirt – USD 8 per trip
- Hiking Shirt (Long sleeves) – USD 8 per trip
- Thermal top – USD 10 per trip
- Fleece Jacket – USD 20 per trip
- Down Jacket – USD 20 per trip
- Poncho – USD 20 per trip
- Rain jacket – USD 10 per trip
- Rain trousers – USD 10 per trip
- Ski jacket – USD 15 per trip
- Ski trousers – USD 15 per trip
- Day Pack – USD 35 per trip
- Rucksack Cover/Rain Cover – USD 5 per trip
- Camelbak/Water Hydration System – USD 15 per trip
- Water Bottle (1L) – USD 5 per trip
- Water bottle cover – USD 5 per trip
- Duffel bag – USD 20 per trip
- Plastic bin liner (rubbish bag) – USD 1
- Hand Warmers – USD 10 (non-returnable)
- Walking/Hiking poles (one pair) – USD 10 per trip
- Head Lamp – USD 10 per trip
- Batteries (variety) – USD 7 per pack
- Binoculars – USD 10 per trip
- Sunglasses – USD 10 per trip
- Ski goggles – USD 15 per trip
- Sleeping bag – USD 35 per trip
- Sleeping bag liner – USD 10 per trip
- Foam mattress – USD 10 per trip
- Thermarest – USD 15 per trip
- Pillow – USD 10 per trip
- Oxygen cylinder – USD 100 per trip
- Oxygen saturation meter – USD 30 per trip
Sizes available: Small, Medium,Large & X-large.
- Save Money –Renting allows you to save a lot of money on high-quality equipment (we’re talking pennies on the dollar). Perhaps the money you’ve saved can be put towards next year’s adventure.
- Client Discount – When you book your climb or safari with us, you will receive a 15% discount off our already affordable costs. What could possibly be wrong with that?
- Advanced Booking Discount – Regardless of where you book your climb, we’re here to make it as pleasurable and stress-free as possible..
- Save Luggage Space – Lighten your load and save room in your suitcase. You’ll need extra room to transport the lovely items you find in Tanzania back to your house!
- Bag Delays – While it is not enjoyable, it is sadly not uncommon. Almost every airline has had misplaced luggage or delays at some point. When you rent, you can rest assured that your equipment will arrive on schedule.
Rental terms and conditions applicable in Tanzania:
- Rental equipment is subject to demand, and the availability of specific sizes or rental equipment cannot be guaranteed. It is strongly advised that you schedule all of your rental equipment well in advance of your intended trip to avoid disappointment.
- Payment for gear in cash US $ only – no credit card or travellers check payments.
Important! Please note that NO equipment must be washed by the clients under any circumstances.