Sometimes, somehow we tend to find ourselves in these situations where your luggage gets misplaced, lost, or just delayed. Just to be on the safe side, we recommend that you wear your hiking boots to travel and pack the useful valuables that you prioritize in your carry-on bag. So, If your luggage is delayed at the airport or if there is a mix-up, we can do our best to find and provide the required gear for your climb.
This is what we do once you give us information that your luggage has been misplaced or delayed by your airline company/agency.:
- We find out which item has been lost or misplaced, how it will affect your trip and how we can substitute the item so that the trip can proceed.
- Since all climbs begin early in the morning, before 5 pm when the shops close, we find a way to either hire or buy items/gear that is essential to your climb just in case.
- We will arrange for the rental of sleeping bags and mats for you.
- We will provide or hire wet weather gear, t-shirts and fleeces and all gear must be returned to the Lead Guide immediately you descend the mountain, after the climb, once you change into civilian attire. A laundry fee will be charged for each item, normally US$10 per item.
- We will drive you to a supermarket or nearby shop where you can purchase essential consumer items like toothbrushes, soap, toilet paper rolls, etc.
Losing Luggage? How often does it happen in Tanzania?
Losing luggage happens by chance and bad luck, it doesn’t happen every now and then but just as a precaution incase it happens to you, we advise you to arrive in Tanzania earlier for your climb and give yourself at least a full day upfront before your Mount Kilimanjaro climb. This will protect against luggage delays and you will get enough time to trace your luggage in case anything happens like when your luggage gets misplaced or delayed.
What to do when your luggage is lost or delayed
The best approach is to inform us immediately you feel something is not right and we will follow up on the situation with the concerned airline company and airport staff.
Word of Advice: To be on the safe side, always have one carry-on bag with clothes that can last you at least 2-3 days, This bag should also include all of your medicine and toiletries. That way if your luggage is lost or delayed, it will not inconvenience your trip to Mount Kilimanjaro.
We try everything in our power to try and salvage the situation even going to the extent of digging into our own pockets and finances to try and recover your lost or delayed luggage. These costs however have to be refunded, at least some of them, and can be charged back to the airline company/agency or their respective insuring companies. Some of these costs may include, transport costs for collecting bags and for shopping.
It is not our wish that you lose your luggage or it gets delayed, it is just a precaution and sometimes it happens to the best of us.